Wednesday, August 28, 2013

An Exciting New Adventure.

It’s extremely incredible when a person has a philosophy carries it around with them, and one day discovers there’s a name for it, that there’s whole works produced regarding that philosophy.  

This is exactly the feeling that struck me upon reading the introduction to our book. It being just an introduction, obviously it’s not extremely deep. However, every so often (as in, ever other sentence) I caught myself nodding in agreement, acknowledgement, and awe.

I have always regarded myself as “different”. I’ve always thought there was something unique about my deep core traits. And I’ve often wondered: am I the only one that feels this unique? There’s somewhat of a problem for me though about this thinking. Example. Let’s say there are 10 people in a room. We gather around and each and every one of us is unique, we are each our own different person, we are alone in this world and that we think differently than anyone else does. If we all have this same mindset, that means an outsider could come along, say that there are 10 people in the room and that the majority of the people think this way. But now, those “individuals” are the majority. The “different” is now the “norm”. At what point can one think that they are truly and completely different from the world? Because all 10 of these people who were just so, so completely different, are now “normal” citizens. Therefore, imagine multiplying this on a large scale, on a world scale. Where’s the individual now?

It seems that for arguments sake, one could say that the individual only matters to that one self. But, don’t we want people to KNOW that we are an individual? Do we not strive for attention for the “strangeness” that some of us may carry? Now there’s the thought on how to be even more different in order to stand out. It’s apparent that not everyone may feel this way. I’m not in everyone’s head, I cannot look at a passerby (as much as I may think I can) and say what their life is like, what their philosophy is like, or whether they believe they are different. I can only guess.

And so, Monday rejuvenated me. I sat down with a fellow classmate/groupmate after having been let out early and we had discussion. We delved into the superficial aspects of existentialism that we were both familiar on (I haven’t had much exposure aside from the Introduction). Many times had she responded to me with “oh, you’re such an existentialist!”, I never thought those words could bring such a grin to my face. Connecting with the idea that I am “super unique”, it was fascinating to meet someone with similar mindsets as I. There’s a great deal of anticipation as to what this class may have to offer me.

A fallback (maybe) will be my analyzing as an Anthropologist. Many times I have an urge to take a step back, analyze and observe what the dynamics are/will be in a given setting. I have already had this feeling towards this class: how many students are existentialists? How many are open-minded and curious on what’s out there? How many are merely in it for the credit? Then, how do the group dynamics fit around that purpose? Who are the group facilitators? Who allow themselves to be facilitated? The questions can go on and the research could be interesting. I think this problem is what leads to my questions that grow broader and become based on a societal scale rather than an individual scale. In spite of this, I should be able to refocus my trains of thought. This class will hopefully take me places I’ve never been before, and for that, I’m extremely excited because not enough classes do that. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel that the more we try to shove out our differences the more we just homogenize our selves to everyone else. Classification of individuality, is kind of like classification of wisdom. Claiming yourself such, or believing you are, just means your not, and just because some people may believe you are doesn't make it true. Individuality and wisdom are things that only truly come about when the person neither seeks it nor acknowledges those facts, they just do what they feel that they are born to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryker,

      I understand what you're saying but don't agree.

      Not analyzing it ("it" referring to a person's individuality and wisdom), just letting things happen, is an intellectual coward's way out. It's close-minded to just accept things for what they "are", rather than think about and understand situations, thoughts, and/or characteristics. It's the same as if someone were to feed you information, whether it be correct or incorrect, and you just take it in as if it's God's word (which is a problem I see in religion). In order to fully grasp a situation, and yourself, I think a person has to think about it critically. Only then can one make a rational, well-thought out conclusion based off of all the facts.

      Existentialism focuses on the individual. It's acknowledging that you ARE an individual, that you are unique, that the world is absurd and you don't fall into place. A person who can admit that they they are different, that they are in some way or another unique at their very core (without TRYING to be) is not homogenizing himself. But rather, understanding that they are not. One cannot seek out individuality but should be able to acknowledge it. However, not everyone can think this way. So the bigger question is, who is an existentialist and who is a try-hard?

      Delete