During class, Thad
stated that we all probably know someone (or someone twice removed at least)
that has committed suicide. He also mentioned that some of us have probably
considered suicide. As I was nodding my head, my groupmate whispered to me, “why
are you nodding!?” I turned to see her confused and worried face. I replied, “Because
I have.” Her face turned to shock as she whispered something else that I didn’t
quite catch.
So why didn’t I do it?
Instead, I decided to
create my own purpose. I refused to live for anyone else. I was/am my own
person. I determine my life.
So on a new note, due
to the amount of discussion during class, there were a couple of topics I had
wished to talk about but never got the chance. This idea of “illusions” and “reality”
kept being thrown around and I wanted to touch base on an idea I realized
during class. It seems to me that this “reality” that we all talk about, how
some of us are in it and some aren’t, is really just an illusion in and of itself.
One person’s reality is different from another’s. My reality is school, work,
and family drama. Another’s could be the street life, learning to live with no
money in their pocket. Either way, it is all still a reality, it just depends
on who’s we are discussing. There are some realities that we may not be
able to understand, and we consider that an illusion. I think that everything
is just an illusion. How we perceive things can change on a daily basis. So
what makes it more real one day versus the next?
Also, there was quite a
big discussion on the basis that judgment is “natural”. That it’s natural to
pass on judgment. It only seems this way because it has been so ingrained into
our philosophies. It’s not in our genetic code to judge people. Judging is
actually learned, not inherited. We learn, every day, how to pass judgment onto
others but we never examine why. We never step back and think about the purpose
and causes of these judgments and assumptions.
No comments:
Post a Comment