To be completely honest, when I was first reading
Kierkegaard I had absolutely no idea what his purpose was. It wasn’t until
class that I realized he is merely focused deeply on the individual.
So I have learned this about myself: although I
try to be open-minded (I really, really do try very hard to be, honest) it’s
not something I have been able to completely overcome. It’s just been
impossible for me to open up to Christianity.
Now don’t get me wrong, there is background to
this intense distrust over the religion. For example, growing up I was “raised”
Roman Catholic. I never agreed with what I was learning and I always knew deep
down I was not Catholic, not in the slightest. However, being a young one, I
couldn’t ever tell my mother my dissatisfaction with the church and its
ideology. So, I continued to attend for her sake.
The longer I was involved the more contradictions
and more logical fallacies were brought to my attention. Therefore, I am now at
the point of complete distrust in any religion.
Which goes into my question: can one be an
existentialist and religious at the same time?
My answer: Absolutely
not.
And now let me elaborate.
Modern day Christianity, the common notion of
Christianity, has a single purpose. That purpose is to serve God, to serve
Jesus Christ, and to abandon your self in order to follow them. It’s already decided for you what your purpose
is by God. Going based solely off of this, I do not see how Existentialism can
be put into this mess.
For me to really describe my thoughts well, we can
also analyze Kierkegaard’s Christianity. Kierkegaard’s philosophy is quite
fascinating up until I realized how he was somehow Christian. I don’t
understand how one can place so much emphasis upon the self when Christianity
seeks so hard to destroy that. Anyways, even if we pretend that Christianity
wasn’t a so-called “religion” and that there was no established church, no
established doctrine of ideas. If Christianity was completely reliant on the
individual’s self then there can be a slight acceptance of existentialism
(which could happen at the part just shy of admitting to believing in God and
Jesus). All the way until the person admits that they have a “God” that they
are worshiping.
The point of religions is to do what someone else
deemed acceptable. Therefore, if one considers themselves religious, they
really just can’t be an existentialist. There is no room for religion for the
emphasis placed upon the self. So a person who is religious can never truly be
living for themselves because they are constantly thinking about the
otherworldly figure they are attempting to please.
The other thing I wanted to quickly touch base on
is the idea of subjectivity and objectivity.
For some reason, these concepts seemed very clear
to me when I began the readings, I thought I had gotten this down! Oh
Kierkegaard I deciphered you! Oh, little did I know, it is so much more complicated
than the black and white thinking I was inferring it to be. Now, I continue to
be at a loss of understanding. This is because I cannot determine if I believe
there is anything objective ever on this planet. Thinking about it, isn’t
everything subjective? Even when we collectively analyze something with the
scientific method, with multiple people, and come to a repeatable,
understandable conclusion, is that still objective or is it subjective to those
scientists. I don’t think there is ever a point to where something is a definite
objective truth aside from natural events on this Earth that could happen
regardless of human existence.
Lexus,
ReplyDeleteIt seems like you are seriously grappling with ideas of individual thought, existentialism, religion, and specifically how Kierkegaard is tackling these issues. As we talked about, it seems as though you are onto something with regards to the seemingly inherent conflict between the notion of individualism and religion. It does seem strange to have the ability to reside within both realms because, as you mentioned, most religions expect you to 'take a leap of faith' and follow their 'way'. Also, the idea you brought up about there being an inability for one to arrive at pure objectivity, I think, was a worthwhile idea to explore further. Good on you! Keep at it!
Chace,
DeleteAfter revisiting this post a week later, I come to discover that there is even more that I had wished to say and yet did not. Appparently I have just too much to say on this issue.
I'm going to have to continue to elaborate on these ideas in future posts and/or my notebooks.
It's really incredible how the mind can future expand on an idea that was already thought to have been complete once revisited.
I appreciate the feedback!