Nietzsche makes some interesting points in regards
to slave and master morality which seemed to create some disagreements within
the class. I think the different perceptions on the text can result from how a
person is brought up and how their mind works.
For instance, when I think of “slave morality” I
think of a “follower”, a person without their own ideas, someone who just goes
with the crowd and conforms. However, some classmates seemed to reference slave
morality with exactly what it sounds like, slaves. Although Nietzsche could
have been an advocator of slavery, of which I am unsure because I have little
knowledge in regards to his life, I’m viewing this philosophical ideas from a
more modern and contemporary point of view. And so, master morality, to me, is
about a person who is a master of their own life, one who doesn’t conform, who
lives their life the way they wish. But some classmates took master morality to
mean morality of “masters”, of queens, kings, those of the upper class, etc.
Some believe that if one is in that position then they are automatically a
master. Although one is born into royalty, one cannot be a master unless they
take full responsibility of themselves and their life.
Now I would like to go against this type of narrow
thinking. Even though someone is born
into their “mastery” does not guarantee that they will become a master.
Although it’s thought that it is predestined what a person will be, how events
will play out, I find that notion to be irrelevant to life. It disregards the
fact that we still have to make decisions for ourselves that we still choose
what to do and how to be. If we didn’t do so, we would just sit at home all day
and never do anything. That’s why it
bothers me when people talk about destiny and free will. It really just doesn’t
matter.
Let’s create a scenario. There is a princess, she
is born to be a master, her destiny is to become queen and that is apparently
the only “choice” she has. However, this is completely incorrect. If she
wanted, truly wanted to, she could leave her family, abandon the crown, and live
her life in a different way. Now, this might seem dramatic and unappealing to
the general public but sometimes people do what they have to in order to be “free”.
Everything depends on the individual and it’s difficult to classify this type
of information into stereotypes because everyone is different. When a person is
subscribing to a stereotype, they are following slave morality. A queen, who is
a master, can still be subscribing to slave morality because if they aren’t doing
what they want, they are following what is told for them to do.
Sure, a slave can have master morality and a
master can have slave morality. However, whether or not they are able to
exercise that power and take action ultimately determines what that person’s
true morality is. If you’re being true to yourself though, it’s impossible to
take part in this contradiction.
So I suppose what I’m trying to say is that there
should be different terms attached to a “slave” and a “master” in relation to
having “slave morality” and “master morality”. Due to the vagueness and
ambiguity of these terms it’s impossible to truly understand how I am
deciphering these ideas. And maybe that’s why I struggled so hard upon writing
this because I cannot tell how we should define the terms.
And so it occurs to me that the reason why there
was misunderstanding in class is due to the misrepresentation of terms.
No comments:
Post a Comment